Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Sky: Why am I Doing This?

Why am I doing this?

People who know me know that, by and large, I’m not one to spend a lot of time blowing my own horn.  Why should anyone care if I’m having a hard time figuring out a tip or who might be holding the Queen of Hearts?


I’m pleasantly surprised that writing and reflecting on my experience helps me to feel more confident and less overwhelmed. Like for the traveler who finds himself on the detour to Alzheimer’s Canyon with a map of blank pages, a little guidance goes a long way.

So, one reason to write is self-serving: it helps me to understand and learn from the often confusing new life I’ve got going on…

And, if other people on the Alzheimer’s detour, or with friends and loved ones on the detour, feel some comfort or support from these words, all the better! We demented ones and our care partners need to be recognized, respected and, above all, listened to, as we stumble along this journey we never asked to take.

I’m living with the assumption that understanding and compassion are essential to this world we all share. My plan is go on chronicling my experiences just as long as I remain able to do so.


Hang on, tight!  

2 comments:

  1. Sky, would it be okay if I shared this link on my Caring Bridge page? I totally agree with every word you wrote. In my case it's Cancer Canyon, and I'm writing about it partly as a journal, partly as a teaching tool, partly as a way to stay in touch with my friends. I'd love to use you as another example of this approach to a serious illness -- we are on similar paths in some ways, different paths in others.

    Jane has my e-mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sky, because in sharing your journey I know I benefit. I don't respond to every post but I think about them a lot. It's true, you are not one to "blow your own horn". As one of your sisters I have known this to be true for 60 years. And let me say it is really cool to be able to read about your thoughts and perspective- it's also hard because of course I hate that you're going through this. But you are and your writing makes it possible for me and many others to learn, contemplate and grow. It's especially interesting to me that writing helps you to feel more confident and less overwhelmed. I find writing to be very hard but when I do write, usually a personal narrative, it is very satisfying. It's also interesting that writing helps you to understand and learn. I first started writing when I took a class for teachers. The idea behind the class was a teacher couldn't ask a student to write unless s/he was a wrote him/herself. That started me on a journey of what it means to be a writer. Our teacher often told us that he didn't often know what he knew until he wrote it down. Keep on writing on my dear brother! Mary Y.

    ReplyDelete