Friday, March 22, 2019

Sky: How's It Goin'?

“Hey, Sky. How’s it goin’?"

“You want the long, medium, or short answer? Long and Medium: you get the latest hallucination reports. Short: requires no listening skills, and minimal time commitment.”

“Hey, I got time. Lay it on me, man!! Oh, wait, unless it’s gonna get disturbing. What do you think?"

“I’ll bet you’ll be good… We can both toss in some of our wicked humor from time to time, keep it light.”

“OK, let’s rock, then. Full Boat, no extra charge for the demented."

…..“Hey, Sky. How’s it goin’?"

“Been better, but thanks for asking. It feels like I’m on the edge of losing both reading and writing in one fell swoop here.”

“That’s gotta leave a hole, especially for you. I wondered if maybe you’ve been slowing down a bit on the blog.”

"Yep. I’ve definitely slowed on that and not by choice. The words just aren’t showing up like they used to...."

So, brain too slow for Reading. But definitely not for:
  • Going out with friends
  • Biking next to the Lake
  • Imagining next summer’s garden
  • Slipping into the heat of the wood-fired hot tub under the full moon
  • Resting by the Earth Clock
  • Climbing the cliffs over the Lake by Rock Point
  • Sharing experiences with others living with Dementia
  • Family dinner with everything from the garden
  • Writing this list of positive things
  • Learning new computer skills
  • Watching the sun rise over Jay Peak
  • Walking over the tumble of ice blocks on the Lake
  • Looking up to see a huge, noisy VEE of northbound Canada geese
  • Spraying foam to insulate the new house
  • Rigging the Sunfish for her first sail
  • Sharing stories with the younger generation
  • Watering the newly-planted fruit trees
  • Watching the fig tree leaf out in the front room

Hallucinations, be damned. I guess I'm doing OK.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read this Sky, especially the part about learning new computer skills. That is super positive! The whole list is delightful, and could be an inspiration to all of us considered-neurologically-normal-for-now folks, a harbinger of spring. I'm envious of the hot tub...

    Best wishes,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big hearts big hugs, Sky - this makes me smile and I hope you're smiling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the list- inspiration indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sky, you are definitely following in our dad’s footsteps by focusing on the positive and what you can do. It’s inspiring and awesome. I try to do that but I’m not coping with anything nearly as challenging as what you’ve got going on. Yet I find myself so angry about you having Alzheimer’s. It’s such a cruel disease. I don’t want you to have to struggle so. I tell myself my anger doesn’t help you. I push it away. Then I remember it can be both. I can be angry. And I can celebrate with you all that you can do. I love you. Mary Y

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. For a long time I haven’t been able to reply to AC posts from my laptop. Can not figure out why. Finally it occurred to me that I could try with my phone. And it worked!!!! I am so happy! Mary Y

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an inspiring list. It makes me want to do all of those things. Well, maybe not rig the Sunfish. Whoever took it out would not thank me.

    What are the plans you're making for the garden?

    Amy

    ReplyDelete