Saturday, September 9, 2017

Sky: One Year In

A few weeks ago a day quietly went by that marked my first full year with my “probable early stage Alzheimer’s” diagnosis. Like most of what is “known” about Alzheimer’s and its progression, this anniversary itself was as quiet as it was relentless. Maybe this would be a good time for a review, a kind self-assessment? 

Or maybe not…

Instead, how about a few random observations?


According to researchers, the attack on my brain has probably been in progress for some years, only surfacing now for unknown reasons.

It’s not an anniversary I want to celebrate really, but it inevitably gets me wondering about who and how I’ll be at anniversaries to come. So far, I feel like I’ve kept myself ahead of the curve in some ways. I’ve been able to feel superior to those Alzheimer critters trying to sabotage my brain. I’ve been known to mock the lethargy and unreliable pace of those unseen varmints doing their unwelcome things up there. Sometimes, it’s personal.

Despite noticeable cognitive declines and memory holes, I aced my neurological assessment last spring, showing no decline since the previous one. Hah!!

I can usually fake it as necessary…

“Really, you don’t look like you have it. Are you kidding me?”

“I wish…”


1 comment:

  1. I detect a sense of humor in this post. Honestly, I'd forgotten about the blog. At almost 70, I find it difficult keeping up with everyone and everything I care about. Sometimes it seems like it's been that way for a very long time. So I embrace what I may today.

    ReplyDelete